Thursday, February 10, 2005

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

So in the time since I've last written, my daily work routine has been thrown into an absolute panicked mess that has been nonstop. Bill decided that I wasn't busy enough with my normal work, so he decided to put me in charge of the entire radio promotion campaign for the upcoming TLC reality special that they are in the process of filming for UPN (for those who don't know, Bill is the manager of TLC, the biggest selling girl group of all time). Now granted, Bill is NOT an easy man to deal with. He's irrational, focused on 10 million different things at once and makes ridiculous requests for things. Up until now, I've only had to deal with him peripherally, as 90% of my work comes directly from Hosh. He basically handed me a stack of papers, contacts and email trails and told me to go ahead and start booking TLC's radio interviews for 5 different markets.

Fine...but first things first...how the hell do you go about doing all of that?! Guess I would just have to figure it out on my own.

So in the past week, I've figured out how to book the girls at different radio stations, deal with programming at all the different stations, deal with the UPN people, deal with Chilli and T-Boz directly. It's sort of interesting and great to learn, but it all comes at the expense of my primary responsibilities with Hosh. I really thought I might be able to handle both until Tuesday, when Bill demanded that the entire Atlanta market be "locked in" (a term he uses every 2 seconds and I can't stand)- meaning every radio station needed to give me a written agreement specifying exactly how many plugs and mentions they would promote the girls with (something that some stations fought tooth and nail about giving me), and the interviews were to be confirmed with the station, the girls and set up accordingly. All in one day. Meanwhile, Hosh had given me work that I threw to the side at the expense of Bill's ADD-fueled sense of urgency that if this didn't get done THAT DAY, the entire process would fall apart. After yesterday, where Bill told me "You've given me nothing", I pretty much had it.

I worked from home today so I could edit these Kevin Aviance voicetones, which I wound up not even taking the CD out of the case. Instead, I spent the day on my cell phone with a laundry list of people, from Atlanta reporters, to radio programmers, to UPN executives, to Chilli and T-Boz. Can't wait to expense that phone bill to the company.

Now granted, I'm all for learning, experiencing new things in this industry- but juggling both work responsibilities and being in the middle of a Hosh and Bill tug of war has worn me the fuck out. My birthday is Sunday, my weekend starts now. No plans have necessarily been set in stone, except for dinner tomorrow with my friends and Mike's party on Sunday- but I hope that Jay and I get to do something nice. Maybe he is planning something. Who knows.

PS- Week 4 of training- coming along nicely- James said the next couple of weeks the results are really going to start surfacing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home