Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Exciting Night

Ok- so a lot happened tonight, and even though its 1:30 am and I have yet to go to bed before 1:30 this week as I promised myself I would do in my last post- I had to write all about what went on today. So Hosh came by the office at 5 o'clock and we walked 3 blocks over to 15th street to Tony Moran's studio to see Deborah Cox recording her new song (Hosh is like, not quite managing her- but coordinating her projects since J records dropped her). So on the way we talked about the whole me DJ'ing vs. my day job thing. I told him my concerns about what's going to happen if I start getting booked for weekday gigs how am I going to do both. He told me not to worry, that we'd deal with it when it happens, but it was a real relief to see that he understood that is IS going to happen, and he's cool with it and he doesn't think I'm trying to ditch him when he needs me the most (the highlight was Hosh saying "well, if you do leave Diggit then the minute you leave, I become your manager and book all your gigs"). So we go to the studio (8 million fucking degrees down there, I was dying thank God I had a bottle of water with me) and there is Deborah Cox (for all of you uneducated in the world of secular music- Deborah's hits include "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here", "Things Just Ain't The Same", "Easy As Life", "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven", "Mister Lonely", "Absolutely Not", "I Never Knew"...etc....). So Deborah sounded fucking amazing singing the new track. The song is HOT. I don't know if I'm really at liberty to say much about the title and things like that, so I won't. But it's gonna be big. She graciously signed my 12" records and she was really nice. Of course, I got to see Tony hard at work. Tony is like, my absolute idol. I'll go into that more another time. So Tony tells me that the last CD I gave him when we had gone out to lunch that he listens to it all the time and how awesome I am and how my mixes sound great. That right there made my night. Someone of Tony's stature likes MY work! Tony is only like, one of the biggest circuit DJ's on earth. We bullshitted about the "freestyle days" when we were taking a break eating pizza (ugh) and he told me that I'm the man because I'm one of the few people he associates with that knows anything about him from his pre-circuit DJ days and how its awesome that I know so much about that world even though I was very young at the time. So basically Tony had me floating on air tonight. Hosh made me feel very validated- asking my opinions on certain aspects of the song and just overall really asking me to contribute my opinion. Talk about something I don't get at my day job :-)

Ok- now I must get to sleep- but I definately scored big tonight!



Myself, Deborah Cox and one of my idols- super dj/producer/ex-Latin Rascal Tony Moran in the studio- 5/9/2005 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home