Thursday, April 21, 2005

Brush With Death

I don't like spiders. Never did. I'm not "afraid" of spiders, per se, but I guess it's human nature to get freaked out when a spider is crawling on you and you can't see it....

While driving...

Tuesday night we had left Applebee's (surprise) to go find someplace else to have dessert. I guess the allure of the berry lemon cheesecake or the sizzlin' apple pie was not enough to satisfy the crew (although I would have been perfectly content with the oreo shake- which I have yet to try). So we decided to drive over to Perking Latte on the ass end of the north shore. So Gelo and I are driving on Forest Hill Rd, with oncoming traffic in the opposite lane and the woods on either side of us. Suddenly a big, black spider with all eight legs dangling within an inch of my face appears. So naturally I flinch, and the spider blows backwards on its little string of web and lands RIGHT ON ME. Where, I don't know. So, reflexes take over once again, and without even thinking I let go of the wheel to brush the spider off of me (even though I had no idea where it had landed) causing the car to swerve dangerously out of control. Gelo grabs the wheel to avoid a tree that we were headed right for which lands us fishtailing into oncoming traffic. After another swerve towards the woods, I finally managed to regain control of the car. I drove up far enough to where I could pull over, where I then jumped out of the car in a desperate attempt to get the mystery spider off of me. I sat there and laughed, and I guess it really didn't sink in until a few minutes after when I was like "YO WE ALMOST DIED!". It was pretty scary. I'm sure if Gelo and I had died in a fiery car crash the spider would have crawled out of the flaming wreckage unharmed.

So in the meantime I get to continue being alive, and thank God for that.

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Frank said...

note - see the movie "nothing to lose" for advice on driving with a spider in the car.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't know me, i just came along your blog. that story was hilarious! i actually laughed out loud.
katie
www.livejournal.com/users/blueyedchik

 

Post a Comment

<< Home